Friday, 19-April-2024

Login form

Aryanblood

ad

NASA awards millions for way-out tech - Forum

[ New messages · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: arya, dethalternate  
Forum » Main » Science, Astronomy, Nature » NASA awards millions for way-out tech
NASA awards millions for way-out tech
ManuDate: Thursday, 01-April-2021, 5:59 PM | Message # 1
--dragon lord--
Group: undead
BY ALAN BOYLE on March 25, 2021 at 3:30 pm

NASA’s latest crop of space technology grants will fund work on projects ranging from power-beaming lasers for lunar missions to high-temperature testing of components for nuclear-powered rockets.

Those are just a couple of the 365 concepts attracting a total of $45 million in grants from NASA’s Small Business Innovation Research and Small Business Technology Transfer programs, also known as SBIR and STTR.

Jim Reuter, associate administrator for the space agency’s Space Technology Mission Directorate, said the release of the SBIR/STTR Phase I solicitation was accelerated by two months to help small-scale tech ventures cope with the COVID-19 crisis.

“At NASA, we recognize that small businesses are facing unprecedented challenges due to the pandemic. … We hope the expedited funding helps provide a near-term boost for future success,” Reuter said today in a news release.

This year’s batch of SBIR/STTR Phase I grants will go to 289 small businesses and 47 research institutions across the country. More than 30% of the awards are going to first-time NASA SBIR/STTR recipients.

Phase I grants provide up to $125,000 for establishing the merit and feasibility of tech innovations that could further NASA’s goals for aeronautical development and space exploration. Phase I SBIR contracts run for six months, while the STTR contracts last for 13 months. Recipients may become eligible for further funding, depending on their progress in Phase I.

untotenawake
Read more/full article/source - https://www.geekwire.com/2021....support

Forum » Main » Science, Astronomy, Nature » NASA awards millions for way-out tech
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: