Relatives and friends have gathered at a school gym-turned-makeshift-morgue to mourn the victims of a nightclub fire in southern Brazil.
It is thought stage fireworks set off a blaze inside the Kiss nightclub in Santa Maria.
Those inside, the majority of them young people, died from asphyxiation or from being trampled.
Latest reports suggest at least 230 have been killed. Those who survived managed to find the emergency exits.
Police in Brazil say at least 245 people are now known to have died in a fire at a nightclub.
Local television has shown shirtless firefighters using sledgehammers and axes to open up an exit as there was only one way in or out.
It is thought the majority of the victims suffocated or were trampled to death. Authorities say the death toll is likely to rise as there were more than 500 people inside.
The blaze is said to have been sparked by a band's pyrotechnics show which set alight the ceiling at the Kiss nightclub.
VIDEO COURTESY: Roger Schlossmacker A blaze raced through the crowded nightclub in the southern city of Santa Maria early on Sunday, filling the air with smoke as panicked party-goers stampeded toward the exits, police and witnesses said. It appeared to be the world's deadliest nightclub fire in more than a decade.
Brazilian Police say most of the 233 people killed in a nightclub fire died of smoke inhalation. The fire is blamed on a band's pyrotechnic display. (Jan. 28)